Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Roasted Marsala Chickpeas

So I bought some Roasted Marsala Chickpeas a couple of weeks ago. They were packaged nicely, looked tasty, and by all indications were going to be fantastic. I could not wait to open them and give them a try. When I finally got to put a handful into my mouth I was pleased by the crunch, and then, from some ugly place in my childhood, I noticed the flavor. "What the heck" I thought, "these things suck."

Well I am not the kind of person to give up easily so I kept eating them. (While it is true that I am this stubborn, it is probably more accurate to say that I kept eating them because I hate to waste anything, even if it means that I have to suffer in the process). Much to my surprise I began to enjoy the taste of those little red legumes. In fact, I have found it hard over the past few days to keep from eating them. I now consider them to be one of the many things that I truly love.

(On a side note I have always wanted to love mushrooms as well, but with no success to this point. I have to admit that they look really good to me, and I know that since so many people rave about them that they must possess some redeeming quality. But for whatever reason every time that I put one of these spore-bearing fruiting bodies of a fungus into my mouth I come close to being sick. One of these days I will just give up on them completely. I think that sushi may be in this category as well, though the coolness factor of eating raw fish keeps me coming back for more.)

So where is the lesson in all of this for me? I think that I have known for a long time that it is important for me to keep trying new things, otherwise I might miss out on discovering some great little gem that will bring pleasure to my life. But now I think that I know as well that it is important for me to try things a second time if I don't love them at first. I understand that this involves a bit of dice rolling, but it is worth having to eat a few mushrooms to be able to uncover the beauty of Roasted Marsala Chickpeas and the joy that comes to me from eating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment